Monday, January 29, 2007

under the sea



So Ko Tao is absolutely beautiful. I passed my open water scuba diving test -- now I can dive up to 18 meters (that's about 44 feet for you non-metric fools). I wish I was able to take pictures under water -- the environment is ridiculous -- beautiful coral, dangerous triggerfish, sneaky eels, and beautiful florescent fishies of ever color.

The beaches are ridiculous too. This is an average sunset on the beach and an above average flexing of the guns. Oh... It's a deep burn. Oh! So deep! Ah. I can barely lift my right arm cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting, I did over a thousand. You have your uvulus muscle, which connects to your upper dorsimus. It's boring, but it's part of my life. I'm just gonna grab this shirt if you don't mind. Watch out for the guns, they'll getcha. (Thanks Roo)




Anyway, the island is quiet and peaceful, especially at night. Theres only one bar, Lotus, that resembles a party (though there is a rotating afterparty every night until 5am). All the other spots are just chilled out, where you lie on mats, sip your drinks and chill.

Unfortunately, its also a little dangerous, especially for the drunkards among us (i.e. everyone). Teri and Mikko went for a swim at 3am. They saw a perfectly empty beach and figured it would be ok to put down their stuff for a while to take a swim. Bad move. Apparently on Ko Tao, thieves wait in the bushes for exactly situations like this. My friends were in the water for 3-4 minutes. When they came out EVERYTHING was gone: clothes, wallets, cameras, credit cards. Not good at all. I like to think that my NYC senses would have kicked in... but on an empty beach? Drunk? Who knows. I'm glad I wasn't there with them.

No comments: