Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Bubbe

My grandmother -- my Bubbe -- died last night. She was 90. I got a call at work last Monday from a brisk efficient voice, one undoubtedly accustomed to breaking tragic news to unsuspecting relatives: Did I know a Rachel Messing and did I know who the next-of-kin was because she had been hit by a car and was now at the Bellvue emergency room.

Ten endless agonizing minutes later, I finally arrived at the hospital. I grabbed the EMT and demanded a report. Bubbe had broken a rib and literally fractured her skull, but aside from that, there were no other apparent injuries. Moreover, she was lucid and, in his words, combative. I couldn't help laughing. "Yup," I told the EMT. "That's my grandmother." This was the Bubbe I knew. She was going to be ok.

For most, "combative" is a word with decidedly negative connotations. No so here. Combative is possibly one of the best words to describe my Bubbe. My grandmother was a tough one, a fighter, a champion. At the age of 90, she walked for 3-5 miles everyday. She lived on her own, took care of herself, and was completely and fiercely independent. I asked her a couple of weeks ago whether she was going to Florida for the winter. "Who, me?" she said. "No. Florida is for old people."

Moreover, she was a smart one. Cheat my Bubbe? Impossible. She was on top of her game, sharp as a knife. "I am a businesswoman," she always told me. When I say combative, I mean it in the most loving way possible.

I leave to the airport a couple of hours after her memorial service this morning. I'm pretty sure that's the way she would want it to be. Last time we talked, a couple of days before her accident, she was excited and happy about the whole family being in Israel and about my trip around the world. I invited her to come with us to Israel. She said, "No, that's the one thing I'm too old for."
And I found that funny, because I had never before ever thought of her as old. She was too alive to be old.

Bubbe, I'm going to miss you. May your memory be a blessing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to see things, buddy. Sounds like you are cut from the same mold. Take good care, I'll be in touch when you're back.

Anonymous said...

baruch dayan ha-emet... much love to you and your fam...

skankosaurus rexx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jess said...

wow. sounds like your grandmother was a hell of a woman and someone i could definitely look up to!

it also sounds like she got a lot out of life and gave a tremendous amount back to those blessed enough to encounter her.

i'm very sorry to hear about your loss.